Kinghorn & Burntisland

FHBT’s work under the £3.5m Kinghorn & Burntisland Townscape Heritage Initiative 2005-2010 included:

  • a small grants scheme for buildings repair and improvement involving ten properties
  • significant public realm improvements in Burntisland High Street – including a community art and heritage project working with the local primary school
  • training schemes in traditional masonry skills and particularly in the use of lime mortar for homeowners, local contractors, local authority representatives and community groups at the Scottish Lime Centre in Charlestown
  • This scheme marked a turning point for FHBT – expanding our role as we took on responsibility for managing newly restored historic buildings, our holiday apartment at Kinghorn Town Hall and the artist workshops at The Platform Studios in Burntisland.


Scheme funders included Architectural Heritage Fund, Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Environment Scotland, Fife Council, Transport for Scotland, Glenrothes Industrial Association, Burntisland Development Trust, Fife Environment Trust, Railway Heritage Trust, Network Rail and ERDF.

[mk2020 id=”1313″]

[mk2020 id=”1316″]


Kinghorn Town Hall

Working with Sinclair Watt Architects, Fife Historic Buildings Trust completed the restoration of the B-listed Kinghorn Town Hall in 2009. Kinghorn Town Hall is a magnificent example of early nineteenth century civic pride, and the castellated stone structure dominates the approach into the coastal town of Kinghorn.  As well as providing a wonderful venue for Burgh council meetings, the Town Hall also provided accommodation for the inmates of the Burgh jail.  It was constructed in 1826 but fell into disrepair in the 1980s. FHBT’s restoration and conversion of Kinghorn Town Hall rescued this landmark building from the cusp of complete abandonment.

Following the restoration, FHBT relocated its office from Kirkcaldy to the ground floor of the Town Hall. The upper floors have been converted into a stunning holiday apartment. A community meeting room on the ground floor is used regularly by Kinghorn Historical Society and as a practice room for Kinghorn ukulele quartet, Uke That, who meet there once a fortnight. Town Hall guests are welcome to pop down and sing along!

In 2013 the Trust restored the Guard Room, at the bottom of the Town Hall garden, and moved their offices there, whilst retaining archive and meeting space on the ground floor of the Town Hall.

The Town Hall was funded with generous grant support from Historic Scotland – access to the building is available to all via a holiday booking, through use of our meeting room (there may be a charge for this) or – depending on availability between holiday bookings – by prior arrangement with ourselves at

To book the Kinghorn Town Hall Holiday Let – Check Availability

The building is now an important element in Kinghorn’s townscape at the same time attracting tourists and contributing to the local economy. To help us maintain Kinghorn Town Hall, please Donate Here.

Burntisland Station House

In 2010, we completed the £2.2 million refurbishment of the B-listed Station House buildings in Burntisland. Before the construction of the Forth Rail Bridge, Burntisland station was the terminus for trains carried across the Forth by boat and was an important 19th century transport interchange.

FHBT’s initial work on these neglected but imposing buildings required the resolution of complicated ownership issues and legal agreements.  Station House required major repair and restoration, including extensive new stonework. Architect Stephen Newsom led the work.

An imaginative conversion scheme created seven units for small businesses, and a community meeting room, now owned and managed by Glenrothes Industrial Association.

The removal of the old ramp to the railway platform behind – carried out in conjunction with Network Rail, ScotRail and Transport Scotland – opened up the possibility of another phase of works at the old platform buildings behind.

This project marked the beginning of a continuing relationship with Scotrail and the Railway Heritage Trust – and a series of projects to find new uses for derelict and vacant railway buildings in Fife.

Station House was funded with generous grant support from Historic Scotland – access to the building is available to all by prior arrangement with the owners, GIA Properties at


To find out more about our past, present and future projects throughout Fife by the Fife Historic Buildings Trust, click below.


View Now

Holiday Lets

Fife Historic Buildings Trust has two self-catering holiday apartments to let. For more information and to book, click below.


View Now

Find out about our latest news here.

Read More

Old Inn Kirkgate Sign


View Project

Inverkeithing Featured Image


View Project



View Project